Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Melba's Restaurant Review (* * * 1/2 stars)

This is our first review of a soul food restaurant in Harlem, NY called Melba's. We heard about Melba's through a family member and were very excited to try it. Here's my review.

My husband and I walked in and were promptly seated. I was excited to taste the food because of the very nice decor of the restaurant. It looked like a very chic but quaint restaurant. The walls were covered with white wood panels, and the rest of the decor was black and wood, with sprinkles of artwork in the room. There were mirrors on the back wall which made the room seem larger and modern chandeliers hung from the high ceilings.

Now comes the fun part, the FOOD. We were starving, I mean S T A R V I N G and couldn't wait to eat a bite. I hope it didn't impair our judgement, I don't think it did. We were conscious of what we were doing.

We started with drinks and shared an appetizer. For drink, I chose the SANGRIA, I just love sangrias because I convince myself that it is a healthy choice. I mean it has red wine and fruits which doctors say is what people need to be healthy. I was just trying to get my healthy on. It was very good. Had the right amount of alcohol (I mean red wine, good for the heart) and a dose of fruit (a half of an strawberry, but I'm sure it had orange juice too).

I chose the appetizer, which my husband and I shared. An empanada, that appealed to me because I'm Dominican and we eats empanadas all the time whenever we get a chance. Anyway, we ordered one cheese and spinach appetizer to share. I thought it was good but was filled with air. It came with a very good sweet sauce (seemed like duck sauce). It relieved my starving stomach for a few minutes.

Then came the food. I ordered theCatfish and a side of Spinach and Mac and Cheese. The presentation was good, a very nice size plate, which is always good in my opinion. Then I tasted the Catfish and it seem uninspired. I mean it was good, but it was the kind of fish I could make at home, not by a chef and at $15 a plate. It really had no taste. It seemed like it was seasoned with salt and pepper and fried. The Spinach was good but again not very unique, not the kind of food you go out to eat. I loved the Mac & Cheese, they did hit it out of the Park with it. It has just the right amount of cheese and mix of cheeses. I mean it was slammmming.

Oh I forgot to mention the last part of the meal which was equally forgettable. We ordered the the Sweet Potato Pie to go. We got home and tasted it, but seemed storebought. We paid $5 bucks for a slice when we could have bought the whole box for $10. I don't recommend it!

Anyway, I give this restaurant 3.5 stars. It's good if you're hungry and want to go out with your husband and not cook at home. More than likely, I will not visit the restaurant again because I I go out to eat to get what I don't get at home. But if I happen to pass by Melba's one day, then I will order the Mac & Cheese to go.

-Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment