Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Southern Hospitality in NYC...That's Right

Today, it was my husband's choice to get back to his roots and try Southern Hospitality. And I mean the restaurant on 45th Street and 9th Avenue in New York City. As we walked to it, we were in awe of the design that probably attracts lots of tourists in the area and New Yorkers looking for something different. Because it looks so different from the boxy buildings we're so used to seeing, it attracted our attention. I just wanted a picture to keep but that didn't happen.

We were greeted and quickly seated as we arrived past 6pm which is when the after-work crowd starts come in. Were were given the choice of two seats. I must say I was amazed by the decor inside with lit words that surrounded the space. Most of the walls were wooden but some were made of concrete which gave it an southern look. I just love the look of what looked to be reclaimed wood surrounding me.

It took about 10 minutes to get a server and have her give us menus. She had that southern charming personality which made the wait seem oh not so bad. We ordered a drink she recommended a Rapsberry Mojito. Personally, we love Mojitos, it was the drink for our wedding. But this one in particular was not so good, I mean as a cocktail, it was good as a beverage. It just didn't have enough alcohol, it appeared much like a kids drink. Perhaps they were trying to save money but I would just save on something else. Please not the drinks.

After what seemed like an eternity of waiting for our meal, it came. I don't know if was me as a New Yorker, I'm so used to having quick gratification and since we didn't order appetizers we didn't get the food quickly.

I have nothing but good things to say about the food. I mean it was good. I saved some of mine for home even though I only had a few morsels left. I had the BBQ Pulled Chicken and a side of  Savory Cornbread Stuffing and one of Creamed Spinach. The BBQ Chicken was oh so good and very soft. It had their own BBQ sauce, which had a touch of sweetness, but it wasn't overwhelming. The cornbread was also soft and it seemed to have spices mixed in and when I was finished with a bite I think I tasted a bit of hot sauce. The spinach was my favorite, it was buttery and soft and to tell you the truth I have no idea what else was in it. It may have been brown sugar. Everything was a delight and I really enjoyed it. I have no trouble recommending the restaurant to our readers and giving it 4 stars out 5 rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment